Foot Orthotics : A Quick Overview
Foot Orthotics help stabilise and correct poor foot posture. Ledbrook Clinic specialises in the manufacture of precision custom-made foot orthotics.
The feet often suffer from increases in pressure on foot structures and the surrounding soft tissues, creating localised pain in the foot, ankle and also problems in the lower limbs, knees, hips and back. Correction of poor foot biomechanics can improve and prevent many types of symptoms such as:
- Forefoot Pain (Metatarsalgia)
- Arch Strain (Plantar Fasciitis)
- Policeman’s Heel (Heel Spur)
- Severs Disease (Paediatric Heel Pain)
- Ankle Pain (Tibialis Dysfunction, Lateral Impingement Syndrome)
- Shin Pain (Compartmental Syndrome, Shin Splints)
- Knee Pain (Chondramalcia Patella, Patella Tibial Syndrome)
Flat feet are arguably one of the most common conditions regularly treated through foot orthotics techniques.
Foot Orthotics – The Solution
The aim of a foot orthosis is to correct dysfunctional biomechanics and:
- Reduce pain
- Provide support
- Prevent or halt the development of foot deformity
- Provide better positioning
- Relieve pressure on a certain area of the foot
- Improve the overall biomechanical function of the foot
- Improve pelvic alignment
- Reduce lower limb torsion and knee stress
This allows joints to be aligned correctly and promotes efficient transmission of biomechanical forces.
At Ledbrook Clinic, we understand that the underlying problem may not always be located around the area of the body that develops the symptoms. In some cases the problem may lie in a number of areas, such as poor posture, pelvic mal-alignment, or leg length discrepancies. We can use Foot Orthotics to improve posture and accommodate for any limb length discrepancy. If we do not feel that your problem is caused primarily by your foot position or poor biomechanics, we will not prescribe you any Foot Orthotics.
For cases where foot orthotics are not considered to be the correct treatment option, we would look at alternatives such as Orthopaedic Footwear.